Play an Instrument
Music is one of the most amazing things in the human life. It helps people and other creatures connect with each other in a simple and convenient manner. Music also helps people to communicate their feelings as well as ideas. It is a great tool used for communication.
However, without instruments music becomes a sort of bland food that despite its tastiness does not just make the cut. Instruments make the music palatable and enjoyable on a scale greater than great. When an instrument is played, it becomes the embodiment of music. If by any chance you know how to play a musical instrument, you will know what I am talking about. Many people adore different music instruments as a result of the kind of music they hear from the instrument. However, what you do not know is that each instrument will depend solely on the player to produce good music.
What Is All About Piano
In my opinion I would say a Piano is one of the coolest instruments you can find in the world. Why do I say this? A piano is an instrument that is all rounded. It can be played anywhere and by anyone. It also has a very cool touch that you do not have to struggle with.
When I first started training a piano, I was caught by surprise. I never expected it to be simple and amazing as it turned out to be. So, if you want to learn how to play piano you should keep reading the juicy stuff I have prepared for you. Here you will find various things that you need to know about playing a piano. So, please join me as we take a brief but insightful journey into understanding and getting to know this instrument of beauty and musical joy.
Beginners Guide to Playing the Piano
If you are a beginner with the need and interested in playing piano then there are a number of things you should get to know. Here is a guide that will help you move smoothly in playing the piano for the first time. It should be easy; I know that because I learned.
- Develop Interest
For anything concerning music and musical instruments it must start with your interest towards it. You have to like what you are doing. In most cases, the driving power in learning musical instruments is the individual interest to the instrument.
I understand that you may not necessarily like classical music or the piano as a whole. Nevertheless, developing interest and liking the type of sound produced by the instrument will help you learn more. Start by listening to someone playing the piano. With time you will have more interest in knowing how to play the instrument. You can also visit a professional piano player and look at them playing. When learning or watching the pros play, you will need to keep your eyes open to see the way their fingers fly over the keys. By looking at someone play the piano it will give you an idea of what you are about to start. Also understand why you want to learn piano. This will help you work hard when learning the instrument.
- Your Posture
Unlike other instruments, when playing the piano the posture is very important. The way you sit, how you position your body parts such as the neck, the arms and the back will determine a lot on your flexibility when playing the instrument. This is the beginning point to playing the piano.
When you are starting the piano there are a number instructions you must follow to place your body in the right posture. Why should you have the right posture when playing the piano?
- Helps you avoid tiresome.
- It is meant to give you a better position when playing.
- Helps you to access all the keys of the piano with ease.
Let look at the way you sit when playing the piano. Before you sit you must also know how to position your bench. You bench should be close to the piano but leaving enough space where you can put your legs and stretch your arms to the piano keys. The type of bench to use should be a convenient bench that is not too tall over the piano or too short under the piano. This means that the bench should be of a height that will allow you to fit your legs under the piano. Also, you won’t have to stretch your arms too far. When sitting to play the piano, make sure that your back is straight and the legs at level to the bench. Then bend some few inches towards the piano. Once in that position then let your arms lose. Lift the elbow to place your hands on the piano keys. Your legs should be slightly under the piano. In case you are using a pedal piano then your right leg should move slightly forward. Once you are able to sit in the right posture behind the piano then you should know how to place your fingers. Then place the finger on the keys in such a way they are slightly curved downwards. Before you even start playing, make sure that your fingernails are short.
Understand the finger numbers. Every finger has its own number to enable effective and easy experience when playing the piano. Understanding the finger numbers will help you know which finger to press which key. Here is the arrangement of the piano fingering on both hands.
- 2-Index finger
- 3-Middle finger
- 4-Ring finger
- 5-Pinky finger
- Understand the Notes
It is one of the most challenging things in music. However, if you are interested it is simple to understand. Moreover, once you have known the notes everything else flows. Music notes can be easily called the Alphabets of music. They define a lot when it comes to music and instruments. Once you know the notes then you know what keys to play to give you what sound and for what song. They are the basic note sequences that run like so: DO-Re-Mi-Fa-So-La-Ti-Do. However, the music notes will range from A B C D E F G.
- Understand the Piano Keys
This means that you have to study the keys and know how they are arranged. Also know the purpose for every arrangement. Study the arrangement of both the white and the black keys. All the keys have similar sequence throughout the piano.
Learning the name for each arrangement will help you know which key will produce what sound.
- Connect the Notes and The Keys
Once you have learnt about the notes and the keys, it is thus easy to touch specific keys to produce specific sounds. You can start slowly by practicing very simple sound patterns such as the Do-Re-Mi-Fa-So-La-Ti-Do. Connecting the keys and notes will help you come up with a rhythm within a very short time.
Top 10 Piano Playing Tips
If you are looking forward to perfecting your skills in piano playing then you need to know about this. Playing the piano and becoming a professional or a star in the area will require various things that you should do. Here are the top 10 tips that you can follow to become that pro that you have been dreaming of.
- Get Yourself in Order-Learning and development requires a strategy. Same case in developing your skills in piano playing. Getting organized is the first step to becoming a pro. Plan your practice schedule in an organized manner.
- Focus on certain goals first- Do not do multiple things at the same time. Just do one thing at a time. It is easier this way.
- Concentration is important when practicing-You cannot afford to repeat the same thing every day.
- Warm up before you begin your training-This can be done by reminding yourself what you learnt in your previous session.
- Learn to listen to music because you get to learn the notes.
- Always take a break-No matter how much you want to perfect your skills, always take a break. This is important to rest your fingers and look at how much you have accomplished.
- Memorize your music before practicing-It will not work well when you try to play a certain song and you cannot remember anything. Always memorize your music to make sure that you have an easy time.
- Always try something new-This will help you come up with new ideas. It will also help you develop new rhythms.
- Work on your quality and speed-A good piano player will always deliver quality music. Apart from producing quality music it is also important to be fast. This means that you can play the piano at any pace.
- Have confidence and play before an audience-Playing the piano will not help if you are looking forward to developing your skills to greater levels. Playing the piano before people will help you build your confidence. You are also able to come up with new ideas to entertain your audience.
What Are the Different Types of Piano?
Pianos have evolved over the last few hundred years, and here are the ones we have. All these pianos vary in size, shape and design. These are some of the features that make them different.
- Grand Pianos
They are mainly used for concert and solos. They are very large with their strings arranged horizontally. They are most suitable for professionals. Different types of Grand pianos include:
- Baby Grand piano
- Petite Grand
- Concert Grand
- Classic Grand
- Semi concert/Professional Grand
- Vertical Pianos
As the name suggest they have an upright shape. Their strings are vertically arranged. Their types include:
- Honkey Tonk
- Digital/Electric Pianos
They are the most popular and affordable pianos. They are also the best option for beginners. You can also carry them and travel with them. They include:
- The Clavinova
- The Clavinet
- The Fender Rhodes
- The Synthesizer Keyboard
- The Hammond organ
How to Start Playing the Piano
If you want to start playing the piano then there are a number of things to consider. These are some of the things that will help you progress faster and in a simpler manner. Set your own target by knowing what you want to accomplish and within what time.
- Look for the right materials to help you in playing the piano. This means that you have to have a piano to train with. Consider finding a trainer depending on your abilities and needs.
- Be consistence in your activities.
Playing the Piano vs. Playing the Guitar
If you love musical instruments this question might come to your mind. If you want to learn to play piano you may probably have questions about which one is easier. Many will ask themselves. Why play piano and not the guitar? What is the difference between playing the piano and playing the guitar?
I understand that the big problem comes to which one is easier to play between a piano and a guitar. According to the research done from most of the teachers that train people on playing guitar and piano, it is much easier for a beginner to learn the piano than the guitar. The piano is known to have a much easier notes arrangement which is the most important aspects when playing music instruments. The piano is made up of keys which have a regular sequence. As a result of this, beginners are able to memorize the notes and keys much faster. The guitar on the other side has a more complex arrangement of the notes. Each string of the guitar has different notes arrangement. The piano is also easier to play when it comes to physical requirements. The piano will not require much of strength when it comes to playing the keys. On the other side, for the guitar it becomes difficult for beginners to pluck the strings in the guitar.
How Much Does a Piano Cost?
By now you are most certainly thinking of buying your own piano. However, many may not know where to start. How much does it cost? Buying a piano will depend on a number of factors that will determine the cost of the piano your want to buy. Here are some of the factors that can be put into consideration.
- What type of piano do you want to buy? This depends on the type of piano in terms of the design. There are different types of pianos which range from digital, grand pianos, acoustic and upright pianos. All these varieties vary in prices.
- Size and shape of the piano. There are different sizes and shapes which also determine the price of a piano. Depending on your preferred size or shape, the pianos will have different price tags.
- The purpose. What do you need the piano for? Pianos are made different for different purposes. There are those made for concert purposes. Others are made for schools, homes or studios.
- Model. Depending on the model you want, the prices will change. The latest model will definitely have higher prices.
Here are the average prices for different types of Pianos
For the grand pianos their prices will start from around $5000. For the digital pianos it will start from around $2000. For the upright pianos it will start from around $3000.
Is Playing the Piano Hard to Learn?
When you compare this amazing instrument with its stringed cousins, it obviously emerges top on the list of ‘easiest to play’. This is because of the regular sequences that the keys take. When you compare it to the guitar which has strings which you need to know how to hold, it is obvious why the piano is easy. One thing that you have to know though is that the level of how fast you learn depends on your level of interest. You can’t learn fats if you get discouraged by the first few stumbles. The resilience and patience levels will be bolstered by you interest. That is why, before you consider piano lessons, you have to consider what kind of student you are. It is obvious that interest plays a very big part in making you a faster learner. So, go in with a positive attitude and genuine interest and you’ll be playing like Mozart in a few.
In conclusion it is important to note that as much as music and playing instruments is fun, everything requires one to be committed in what you do.Develop interest and passion to what you want to learn and playing the piano will be very simple.